- Non-metal bowl and spoon (ceramic, glass, plastic or wood will do).
- Oil or shea butter.
- Plastic or rubber gloves.
- A plastic bag or wrap to cover your head.
- A Henna designated shirt that can get stained (optional).
1. Prepare a space for making a mess. Henna will stain clothes and other surfaces. It temporarily stains the bathtub, but will wash off after a couple of days.
2. In a bowl, slowly pour warm to hot water over Henna powder. Mix into consistency of pancake batter. See Timing Tips below for enhancing your Henna.
3. Wash and towel dry hair.
4. Apply oil or shea butter to hairline and ears to prevent the skin from staining.
5. Wearing gloves, apply Henna paste thoroughly to damp hair.
6. Wrap hair up in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and leave in hair. See Timing Tips.
7. Applying heat to hair quickens the process, but is not necessary.
8. Rinse Henna paste out thoroughly with warm water, ending with cool water. This can take some time. It’s like rinsing mud out of your hair. Using our hair conditioner quickens the rinsing process.
Avoid shampoo for 48 hours after applying Henna to allow the color to fully set in.
IMPORTANT: Do a test strand on small section of under layer hair to make sure you like color before applying to the whole head.
Click here for Blending Instructions for the color you desire.
HOW MUCH HENNA DO YOU NEED?
- Short hair: 2-3 oz.
- Shoulder length hair: 3-5 oz.
- Long hair: 5-8 oz.
TIPS FOR ENHANCING YOUR HENNA:
- For Extra Conditioning and Shine, add 1-2 Tbsp. of our Marrakesh Argan Oil. Click here for options.
- To Enhance Blond Highlights, replace water with Chamomile, Calendula, or Black tea. You can also add 1 tsp. – 1 Tbsp. fresh Lemon juice.
- To Enhance Reds and Reddish Browns, add one tsp. of powdered Ginger, powdered Nutmeg, or powdered Beet to Henna. You can also replace the water with Rooibos tea. Click here to purchase Rooibos Tea.
- To Enrich Dark Browns and Tone Down Reds, add Coffee grounds to Henna and/or replace water with fresh brewed Coffee.
- To Increase Color Hold, add 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 Tbsp. of Lemon Juice, or 5-15 drops of Lavender or Rose Geranium essential oil. Click here if you would like to purchase essential oil.
- Indigo/Black has a dye release time of 15 – 20 minutes and should be applied to hair immediately after preparing, whereas True (Red) Henna and Cassia have dye release times of 3 - 4 hours and should “set” before being applied to hair.
- When custom blending these plants, first prepare the True (Red) Henna and/or Cassia paste and let it “set” for at least 3 hours in a covered bowl. Then prepare the Indigo/Black paste and mix the two pastes together just before applying to hair. If Henna paste thickens too much while setting, add water.
- Henna is typically left in the hair for 3 – 4 hours, and up to overnight.